Friday, June 14, 2013
Activities from 10 am to 6 pm
Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden
June 14, 2013 marks the inaugural Canada Garden Day. Organized by the Canadian Garden Council, Canada Garden Day brings awareness to the importance of public and private gardens around Canada, the value of home gardening, the benefits of gardens, and the promotion of environmental stewardship. The first National Garden Day is an opportunity for people to go outside in their own gardens, their favourite community gardens or a nearby garden destination to connect to their favourite garden experience.
To celebrate garden culture and green practices, Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden will present a day of activities for visitors of all ages. Highlights include:
- Two special horticultural tours: led by master gardeners, these tours will introduce various plant species and their aesthetic and symbolic properties specific to a classical Chinese garden.
- Wild life as part of gardening: witness our daily koi fish feeding ritual and observe our resident robins, turtles and ducklings.
- Be green: our Garden uses worms to create fertilizers, make our own industrial cleaning products with lemon peels, and grow vegetable plants in the green house.
- Eco-crafts: make floating boats out of tree leaves.
- Balcony gardening: the proprietors of Peking Lounge will present a model balcony garden that’s designed with the basic Daoist principles of classical Chinese gardens.
- Art of penjing: Master gardener Pin Lee will be on site to introduce the penjing collection at the Garden, as well as offer a selection of penjing plants for sale.
- Perched-in-Chinatown outdoor installations by Vancouver Design Bureau: 9 unique birdhouses engagingly interspersed among the architectural and horticultural elements of the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden. Take a tour and discover how these design objects can augment or mediate your experience of this elegantly cultivated space.
- and more!