Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden is filled with objects and stories, perfect for multi-sensory learning.
Topics include life in Ming Dynasty China (1368-1644), immigration to British Columbia, inventions, Tai Chi and festivals. We offer programs for all ages, and our school programs support the BC provincial curriculum.
All of our programs can be customized and we are happy to work with you to create a meaningful and memorable day that suits your timing and curricular needs, as well as the Grade and language ability of students.
We can also provide ideas about using our beautiful, peaceful space for class visits.
Need some inspriation? Here are some creative ways that teachers have used our Garden and neighbourhood for learning:
- Social Studies: Ancient China and Chinatown history; local history and heritage; identity and family
- Physical and Health Education: Tai Chi; Yoga; Meditation
- English Language Arts: poetry; storytelling; studies of Wayson Choy and other Chinatown writers
- Arts Education: drawing classes; traditional music; exhibition tours
- Food studies: food security; ethnic cuisine; local and international ingredients
- Science: horticulture; plants and animals.
Contact us to book a field trip. We look forward to welcoming you!
We are privileged to be situated in Vancouver’s Chinatown and surrounded by the history and living culture of the Chinese Canadian experience. Discover field trips and classroom resources about Chinese immigration, Chinatown life and ancient China.